Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Igualada Cemetery Addition

"Geometry cleanses predisposition..." 

I proposed the following scheme in this afternoon's studio time. It all begins with the analysis completed last week, specifically the wire drawing without paper. When viewed from above I could pick up on some repetitive angles. I took a similar approach to the earlier drawdels, as I cut and folded up and over some of the pieces. The idea from the start was to lead visitors below grade as a way of bringing life in and activating a space underground. As for burial ritual, the major wall with all the burial niches would stand on the visitors right and would emerge from the ground forming rigid geometries. The issues brought to my attention had to do with structure, simplicity, and confusion between enclosure and open space. I will refer back to some of my other drawdels I made from this view of the wire drawing and keep you posted

Schematic site plan

Schematic section

Schematic perspective

Schematic perspective within archival space

Space for the living

Place for the deceased

Light study from above

Light study from below

Overhead view of wire drawing, the inspiration for this scheme
Schematic drawdel




2 comments:

  1. i looked up pinos and miralles drawings and your page came up when i clicked on it i thought "wow just like our project" as i scrolled down it looked more and more familiar. Then i saw thesis room walls. Was confused for a moment then "click"..... i'm tired.

    The hole time I thought wow these people did drawels 2!!! i did recognize your earlier stuff though.

    ReplyDelete